Can you pass a Thanksgiving historical quiz?
Updated: Dec 13, 2021
1. How many surviving Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving?
2. What year was the first Thanksgiving?
3. What was the name of the Native American chief at the feast?
4. Who accompanied this chief to the feast?
5. What American president declared Thanksgiving as a national holiday?
6. What religious group did the Pilgrims belong to?
7. Where did the Pilgrims live before they sailed to America?
8. Did any of the Pilgrims fall overboard?
9. What was the name of the ship that was supposed to sail with the Mayflower?
10. How many days was the Mayflower at sea?
11. How many Pilgrims left England on the Mayflower?
12. What did the Native Americans bring to the feast?
Answers: 1. 53; 2. 1621; 3. Massasoit; 4. 90 warriors; 5. Lincoln, in 1863; 6. the Puritans,
separated from the Church of England; 7. the Netherlands; 8. Yes. John Howland was washed overboard in a storm but caught a rope, and was rescued; 9. Speedwell---its crew sabotaged it and caused a leak, so it could not make the voyage; 10. 66; 11. 102; numbers may not work out with question 1 because a baby was born; 12. 5 deer.
Sue Devick, M.A.